The learning sector has seen significant transformations in recent years. With the advancement of the internet and social media, the majority of learning has migrated online. The University of Pennsylvania, Harvard University, MIT, and many other prestigious institutions focus on making eLearning better than before by using WordPress as their website partner. Individual instructors are also creating a reputation for themselves and improving the abilities of thousands of students by teaching online through their eLearning platforms or platforms such as Udemy or Udacity.
If you are knowledgeable about a subject or have a refined ability, you can teach it to hundreds of thousands of eager learners. The only need is that you have access to the internet and an online eLearning portal. Now, if you think that creating and managing a website is expensive and time-consuming, well, it is not. Not if you use WordPress as your website partner.
Table of Contents
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a Content Management System (CMS) that allows you to create and manage a website without knowing how to code. You may modify almost every aspect of your site using this program. WordPress is the most popular content management system (CMS) globally, with more than 40% of all websites using it, including eLearning systems, ecommerce sites, social networking sites, and many more. The University of Washington, RenWeb, Bionic Turtle, Michael Hyatt Courses, and many others are among the prominent names in the learning sector that use WordPress as a partner.
WordPress is an open-source application which means that the platform is not protected by copyright or trademarks and that anybody may download and change it (under the GNU General Public License).
Though WordPress is free, you have to spend several bucks for:
- Hosting service
- Plugins and addons (Free and premium)
- Themes (Free and premium)
How will WordPress help you in creating an eLearning platform?
WordPress has the benefit over other platforms in that it is extremely versatile and customizable. WordPress allows you to construct whatever type of web platform you desire. All you need are the proper plugins and themes, as well as a few clicks here and there.
With WordPress, creating a website from the ground up is simple and requires no technical experience. The good news is that WordPress is free to use. However, you will have to pay for a few premium plugins or themes, which are also quite inexpensive.
For creating an eLearning website, we need two things:
- LMS plugin
- An eLearning compatible theme
What is LMS?
The Learning Management System, or LMS, is a piece of software or a WordPress plugin that helps you create and manage online courses, students, instructors, and more. It provides teachers and students with a secure interface and environment for material delivery and administration. Providing assignments, producing quizzes and assessments, and tracking students’ progress are all made easier with the aid of a learning management system (LMS).
The LMS will offer you everything you need for your online e-learning platform. It is very simple to comprehend and use. To administer an LMS, you don’t need any technical skills. Therefore, we must select a top-notch LMS platform for our online courses and e-learning website.
Some of the best LMS plugins for an eLearning WordPress website are:
1. Content management
The most important function of an LMS is to manage material. Therefore, we must ensure that it is capable of handling the material. Furthermore, we must ensure that it complies with the most recent international e-learning standards, such as SCORM and Tin Can/xAPI.
We’ll have to see if it allows us to post movies, get papers from the internet, and share learning materials. To minimize any trouble while browsing through different courses, we should make it simple to develop and maintain courses and categorize them appropriately.
2. Data tracking and analytics
The admin may benefit from proper data collection and analysis, as well as well-written reports, in a variety of ways. The LMS platform’s reports assist in managing students, tracking their progress, marketing and advertising, and many other tasks.
3. Seamless integration of different tools and plugins
A variety of tools and plugins should be integrated and supported by the LMS. It is critical to ensure the success of an eLearning platform. It will need to be integrated with social media plugins such as BuddyPress. We need to establish discussion boards for several courses, and we’ll need to use the bbPress plugin to do so.
4. Intuitive UI
The most important component of every website is the user interface or UI. It enables users to traverse the website quickly and efficiently. A good user interface makes interaction intuitive with little effort on the user’s part. As a result, the LMS should have a well-developed and robust user interface.
5. Tools for assessment and testing
A Learning Management System must contain capabilities for producing quizzes, assignments, administering exams, and conducting assessments. Students and teachers can use suitable evaluations to complete the evaluation and make the required modifications for improvement.
6. Mobile learning blended with offline learning
For varied screen widths, the LMS platform should be flexible and responsive. Not only that, but the material must be easily accessible on mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones. Offline learning mode should be available in addition to mobile learning, as these capabilities are in high demand right now.
7. Personalized user experience
Based on their recent history and course history, a competent LMS platform would evaluate the students and convince them by offering them the relevant courses they are interested in. The more students see the courses they want to take, the more likely they are to enroll.
8. Certificates and mark sheets generation
It is critical to offer students a suitable mark sheet and a review report of the completion certificate when they complete a course or assess it. Therefore, an LMS should include built-in functionality for creating certificates, mark sheets, and other documents based on a student’s overall performance during the course.
9. Top-notch security
The most important factor to consider while using any digital or internet product is security. Security should be a strong point of the LMS platform. This is critical for various reasons, including the security of our data, databases, and student information.
10. Ecommerce integration
You’ll need an ecommerce solution for your eLearning platform if you want to sell your courses online. It is impossible to handle sales records, taxes, discounts and coupons, ads, or even set up a functioning online store without a strong ecommerce platform or a plugin like WooCommerce connected to your website.
Now, moving on to the LMS plugins:
LearnDash is a WordPress LMS plugin that is perhaps the most well-known LMS platform on the platform. The University of Washington, the University of Florida, Problogger, and many other prominent names use it. LearnDash is popular since it offers a broad number of functions and is extremely easy to use. It also adheres to the most recent e-learning standards, such as SCORM 12 and xAPI.
- There are a lot of options to choose from.
- The video support and features are among the finest in the industry.
- Work is made much easier with automated emails.
- Gain control of your data in a flash.
- Excellent client service
- There is no free trial available.
- Such a large number of features might easily overwhelm and confuse a user.
- You’ll need to use a third-party plugin for webinars and video conferencing.
LifterLMS is a simple platform with a user-friendly interface and features. This LMS platform received mainly good feedback from users. With the help of Lifter LMS, you can build everything from simple online courses to complicated ones.
It includes everything you need to build a stunning, flexible, and fast-paced WordPress e-learning website, plus more.
- The course builder is pretty nice.
- The integration with Beaver Builder is flawless.
- Excellent client service.
- If you want to develop a strong ecommerce platform, you’ll need addons.
- There are only a few e-marketing choices available.
- Expensive addons.
- There is a lack of modernism in the designs.
- Because of its all-in-one capabilities, it was extremely difficult to operate.
LearnPress is another well-known WordPress LMS plugin. It manages e-learning content by more than 50K schools, universities, and other businesses. Like all other WordPress plugins, it has a modular architecture, which means you may use it with a variety of other WordPress plugins for different functions.
- The main plugin is free and includes several features as well as a limited number of free plugins.
- The drag-and-drop course builder is fantastic and simple to use.
- Different plugins and extensions may be easily integrated.
- One of the most attractive LMS systems.
- In terms of value generation, certain addons are expensive.
- Integration of several plugins to support SCORM 12 or xAPI.
- The customer service is abysmal. There are a lot of negative reviews about it.
- There are several red flags, such as website malfunctioning, poor code standards, and so on.
To construct a well-managed, responsive, and user-friendly online learning website, Sensei LMS is a suitable LMS platform to utilize. Many individuals enjoy using this LMS platform since it is quite simple to use. However, compared to other LMS systems, this LMS platform is not yet mature and offers fewer functionalities.
- The quiz and grading system are excellent.
- Work is made much easier with automated emails.
- The most effective WooCommerce integration.
- Many WordPress themes don’t support it.
- Plugins and addons can be rather costly.
- The support system isn’t in good shape.
- It might be difficult for non-technical people to understand.
- Overpriced in terms of value.
Tutor LMS debuted in the market in 2019 and swiftly rose through the ranks. It is a user-friendly LMS platform used by many individuals, institutions, and eLearning businesses to administer their online platforms and provide various sorts of material to users. The UI of the Tutor LMS plugin is well-designed. Despite having fewer capabilities than other LMS systems, they always add new features and provide value to their clients.
- It’s easy to use and operate.
- There is a large number of extras to select from.
- Working with the front-end course builder is a joy.
- Theme integration is simple.
- Face-to-face learning is encouraged.
- The free version can be used.
- It does not currently have a training module.
- Several bugs must be addressed.
- SCORM and xAPI are two e-learning standards that aren’t directly supported.
Choose an LMS plugin you think is best, but I will advise you to go with LearnDash or LifterLMS as these two plugins are very high-rated and used by many big names.
Which theme to use for the eLearning WordPress website?
It’s a well-optimized and responsive theme that comes in two variants for Reign LearnMate LearnDash and LearnMate LifterLMS, two distinct WordPress LMS plugins. Along with these two LMS plugins, this theme also provides great support for TutorLMS, LearnPress, and LifterLMS. Not only that, but the LearnMate theme also supports several plugins, including bbPress, BuddyPress, GamiPress, and others, which will allow you to add a variety of features to your website.
LearnMate eLearning theme features
- By importing and downloading the demo, you may create a comprehensive website in just a few minutes.
- Multiple course formats are available to make courses more enjoyable and appealing to students.
- Several choices are available to assist you in personalizing store page layouts so that visitors have a real browsing experience.
- You also receive a Course Review function, which collects student testimonials. Once again, this is a fantastic method to boost your sales.
- Easy interaction with third-party plugins like WooCommerce, Stripe, bbPress, BuddyPress, and many others.
- Users may fully immerse themselves in the course content with distraction-free reading and dark mode options.
- LearnMate theme has a sophisticated page builder that allows you to express your creativity in whatever way you desire.
- Their grid and listing choices and Multiple Header layouts, single course layouts, typography, theme skins, and other features are extensive.
These are only a few of the LearnMate theme’s features. The theme offers many other additional essential features that will make administering your eLearning platform very easy.
Reign LearnMate theme demos
- LearnMate theme with SenseiLMS
- LearnMate theme with TutorLMS
- LearnMate theme with LearnDash
- LearnMate theme with LifterLMS
Some plugins to integrate into your eLearning website
- WooCommerce: For integrating ecommerce features.
- BuddyPress: For integrating community features.
- bbPress: For discussion forum integration.
- GamiPress: For gamification of your eLearning website.
- Elementor: For building WordPress website pages.
- NinjaForms: For integrating forms in your eLearning website.
- Easy Digital Downloads: Facilitates the management and download of a variety of media assets from your website.
- The Event Calendar: Use this plugin to manage various events; it’s quite useful for effectively arranging events on your website.
There are thousands of WordPress plugins; these are some of the best plugins that are used widely.
LearnDash specific addons
- LearnDash Notes: Learndash Notes will allow you to write notes for courses, lessons, and topics to the LearnDash platform.
- LearnDash wpForo: You can create a conversation channel for your learners using the Learndash wpForo connection. Allows you to link your course to many different communities.
- LearnDash Dashboard: LearnDash Dashboard provides admins, teachers, and students with their dashboard to quickly manage their courses, lessons and communicate with others.
- Reign LearnDash Add-on: The Reign LearnDash Addon was created particularly for the LearnMate LearnDash theme, which will be used to construct a Udemy-like eLearning website. This LearnDash plugin includes many useful features that will help you improve your eLearning experience even further.
Learnmate eLearning theme alternative: BuddyX theme
BuddyX is a theme based on the WordPress community plugin BuddyPress that’s well-suited to a variety of platforms, including eLearning, job portals, ecommerce, and more. It’s also compatible with other learning management systems like SenseiLMS, TutorLMS, and LearnPress. It is a free WordPress community theme that helps you create fast, responsive, and user-friendly eLearning websites.
You may easily incorporate the features you want and leave the others while using WordPress. If you don’t want to gamify your eLearning platform and include badges and leaderboards, for example, just don’t use the GamiPress plugin. Managing an eLearning site does not have to cost thousands of dollars each year; WordPress is inexpensive and effective. Furthermore, you may quickly get solutions to any issues you may have with such a huge community. Aside from that, there are thousands of more WordPress developers out there, including ourselves, who are devoted to making WordPress even better.
Interesting Read :